Advent Shadowbox: Day 26, “Santa Baby” Cookies
December 22, 2011
26th Day of Advent
3 Days ’til Christmas
Make Mama’s Famous “Santa Baby” Cookies
1 c unsalted butter, softened
1.5 c brown sugar
.5 c granulated sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
2 tsp vanilla
2 c all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
.5 tsp salt
1 c oats
2 c semi-sweet chocolate chips
4 skor bars, crushed
.5 – 1 c toffee bits
1 c flaked coconut (sweetened or unsweetened)
1 c chopped pecans
Heat oven to 350f.
Cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
Add eggs and vanilla and mix until creamy.
Separately, mix flour, salt and baking soda.
Add these dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
Separately, mix chocolate chips, toffee bits, oatmeal, coconut and pecans.
Add these mixins to the cookie batter, mixing first by machine, then, fully incorporating with spatula.
This dough is very stiff and bursting with mixins.
Drop 1-2 tbs of dough 2 inches apart on parchment or silpat-lined cookie sheets.
Bake 10-12 minutes.
When I was in university, I attempted to recreate the cookies I used to pick up from a special coffee shop way back home in California…These were called “Taylor’s Mom’s Cookies.” Aside from the “It’s-It’s” (a chocolate dipped oatmeal cookie and mint-chip icecream sandwich), they were the only sweets from Cali that I ever really craved on those freezing cold nights in Chicago. I managed to recreate the cookie a few times in my famished, munchie-loving college stupors. A few years ago, I went back to the drawing board and attempted to create a family recipe now dubbed the “Santa Baby.” They’ve been a hit. My kids request them every year. Don’t worry, folks, if there are tons of extra mixins in the bottom of the bowl…It’s the only way we’ve managed to make sure each cookie is choc-full of mixins…You can always use whatever crumbly bits are left over to top sugar cookies or to garnish your favourite zucchini or banana breads before baking.
Here’s a look at today’s Advent Shadowbox Insert:
And here’s the Advent Shadowbox from afar:
Tags: Advent Calendar, Advent Calendar 2011, Advent Calendar Ideas, Advent Ideas, Advent Shadowbox, Baking with kids, Christmas, Christmas Baking, christmas cookies, handmade holidays, homebaked holidays, santa babies, santa baby, santa baby cookies, Shadowbox Advent Calendar, Things to do with kids
What’s Inside of the Lunchbox?
- First Communion Fun
- Saying “Thank You”
- DIY Cookie Cutters: The Zeppelin Edition
- Book Fan Shirts
- Making the Movie Monster Video
- The Vanities of the Leaked-Upon
- MARCH breACK! 2013: Spirit Bear Stick Puppets and Finger-Walking Bear Puppets
- MARCH breACK! 2013: Illustrate-Your-Own-Books, Ahma, The Spirit Bear, Part IV: A Berry Picking Party & What Follows
- MARCH breACK! 2013: Spirit Bear S’mores: Honey Graham Cracker Cookie Cut-Outs and Honey Marshmallows From Scratch
- MARCH breACK! 2013: Kermode’s Path Math Game
- MARCH breACK! 2013: Mooksgm’ol [Spirit Bear] Drum Faces Inspired by Tsishmian Art & the Four Tsishmian Clans
- MARCH breACK! 2013: Illustrate-Your-Own-Books, Ahma, The Spirit Bear, Part III: In Which Harriet is Saved and Jane Tries Not To Be
Our Most Popular Arts & Crafts Posts
- Sherlock Holmes Party: DIY Detective Kits
- Necktie Beanbag Snakes
- A Birdseed Wreath
- Snake Mobiles and A Skip Counting Game
- Easter Egg Workshop
- Toy Heart Photo Valentines
- Constellation Cards
- DIY Python Masks
- Pop Art Name Plates
- Snake Sock Puppets
- Favourite Photo Ornaments
- The Adventures of Sir Lochrann Holmes: A Study in Emerald (Introduction)
- Read and Illustrate The Winter’s Tale
Our Most Popular Recipes
- Butter Beer Blondies
- Whisky Fig Cranberry Sauce
- Our Best Chewy Granola Bars
- Eat This(,) Chicken!
- Shamrock S’mores
- Chewy Chocolate Brownies
- Cookie Meteors & Santa Babies
- Quick and Easy Individual Thin Crust Pizzas
- Skylanders Portal of Power Cake
- Frogwiches! Gingerbread Sandwich Cookies with Vanilla or Citrus Cream
- Punch and Judy Cookies
- Cannoli Buche de Noel
- Red Panda Cake
Lunchbox “Bento”: Categories
- The Lunchbox Season is Back
- Summer of Funner 2012 Film Festival
- Peach Day! Amaretto Peach Jam, Brown Sugar Vanilla Jam, and Giant Peach Butter
- A Movable Mural
- The Imaginary Beasts of Riverdale Farm
- Mad Scientist Day 2012: Ten “Sweet” Experiments
- The Kids Make Street Eats (with Beer!): Pilsner Pretzels & Hops and Robbers Mustard
- Glam Cans 2012: Kid-Designed Canning Labels DIY