November 30, 2011
4th Day of Advent
25 Days ’til Christmas
FEED THE BIRDS
And here’s how it looks from the outside:
The recipe on the card is taken from the fabulous birdseed wreath tutorial on The Dereila Nature Inn website. This is the wreath that I made as a test product last night:
And this is how it looked beside the Advent Shadowbox this morning:
Weather permitting, we’ll be setting this large wreath outside for the birds this afternoon. It’s quite heavy, so we’ll likely lay it on the bird bath and spy on it from the back windows. [UPDATE: We put the wreath out this morning - see below!] This afternoon, as the birds feast, we’ll make ornament-sized versions of the wreath recipe for our tree and for gifts using cookie cutters as our molds. Perhaps we’ll give them to teachers with our canned goods from our “Summer of Funner.”
Here’s a copy of the printable instructions given on the The Dereila Nature Inn website. If you click on their link, you can view a fantastic photographic tutorial. Please do check out our inspiration!!!
(as presented by The Dereila Nature Inn)
Ingredients (recipe may be quartered or halved):
8 tablespoons cold water
4 – 1/4 ounce packages Knox unflavoured gelatin
1 1/2 cups water
8 cups birdseed
Empty the 4 packages of gelatin into 8 tablespoons of cold water in a large bowl.
Let the gelatin sit for 1 minute.
Meanwhile, boil the 1 1/2 cups of water. Add the boiling water to the gelatin and stir for 2 to 3 minutes or until the gelatin has dissolved.
Stir 8 cups of birdseed into the gelatin, mixing thoroughly.
Let the mixture set for a few minutes, then stir again.
Repeat this process a few times allowing the seed to absorb the liquid.
Spoon the mixture into a greased bundt pan.
Put in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
Remove the wreath from the mold by inverting the pan and tapping along the bottom. The pan may need to warm to room temperature before the wreath will come out.
Allow the wreath to dry overnight or longer if necessary.
Placing it on a cooling rack will help the air circulate.
The wreath should be very solid when completely dry.
Use several strands of raffia, twine or strong string to form a loop to hang the wreath.
What’s Inside of the Lunchbox?
- First Communion Fun
- Saying “Thank You”
- DIY Cookie Cutters: The Zeppelin Edition
- Book Fan Shirts
- Making the Movie Monster Video
- The Vanities of the Leaked-Upon
- MARCH breACK! 2013: Spirit Bear Stick Puppets and Finger-Walking Bear Puppets
- MARCH breACK! 2013: Illustrate-Your-Own-Books, Ahma, The Spirit Bear, Part IV: A Berry Picking Party & What Follows
- MARCH breACK! 2013: Spirit Bear S’mores: Honey Graham Cracker Cookie Cut-Outs and Honey Marshmallows From Scratch
- MARCH breACK! 2013: Kermode’s Path Math Game
- MARCH breACK! 2013: Mooksgm’ol [Spirit Bear] Drum Faces Inspired by Tsishmian Art & the Four Tsishmian Clans
- MARCH breACK! 2013: Illustrate-Your-Own-Books, Ahma, The Spirit Bear, Part III: In Which Harriet is Saved and Jane Tries Not To Be
Our Most Popular Arts & Crafts Posts
- Sherlock Holmes Party: DIY Detective Kits
- Necktie Beanbag Snakes
- A Birdseed Wreath
- Snake Mobiles and A Skip Counting Game
- Easter Egg Workshop
- Toy Heart Photo Valentines
- Constellation Cards
- DIY Python Masks
- Pop Art Name Plates
- Snake Sock Puppets
- Favourite Photo Ornaments
- The Adventures of Sir Lochrann Holmes: A Study in Emerald (Introduction)
- Read and Illustrate The Winter’s Tale
Our Most Popular Recipes
- Butter Beer Blondies
- Whisky Fig Cranberry Sauce
- Our Best Chewy Granola Bars
- Eat This(,) Chicken!
- Shamrock S’mores
- Chewy Chocolate Brownies
- Cookie Meteors & Santa Babies
- Quick and Easy Individual Thin Crust Pizzas
- Skylanders Portal of Power Cake
- Frogwiches! Gingerbread Sandwich Cookies with Vanilla or Citrus Cream
- Punch and Judy Cookies
- Cannoli Buche de Noel
- Red Panda Cake
Lunchbox “Bento”: Categories
- The Lunchbox Season is Back
- Summer of Funner 2012 Film Festival
- Peach Day! Amaretto Peach Jam, Brown Sugar Vanilla Jam, and Giant Peach Butter
- A Movable Mural
- The Imaginary Beasts of Riverdale Farm
- Mad Scientist Day 2012: Ten “Sweet” Experiments
- The Kids Make Street Eats (with Beer!): Pilsner Pretzels & Hops and Robbers Mustard
- Glam Cans 2012: Kid-Designed Canning Labels DIY