DECEMBER 1, 2011
5th Day of Advent
24 Days ’til Christmas
Advent Thursdays are
DAYS OF GRATITUDE
Today We’ll Make
Writing our “GRATEFUL FORS”
on Thin Strips of Paper
And dropping them, rolled,
into Glass Ornaments
Here’s a look at our Advent Shadowbox today:
(As you can probably tell by now, I’m not the best of photographers…
If anyone has any hints, drop a line!)
The box is full of strips of paper which I’ve curled with a pair of scissors as you would a strip of ribbon.
I printed the text on green construction paper and cut it into “circle-esque” shapes.
I placed these green shapes on top of the curled paper strips before closing the shadowbox glass on top.
I’ve suspended the ornaments in front of the glass from ribbons which are tacked behind the box.
I still had ornaments left-over from the “Secret Wish” Fashion Photo Ornament Birthday pARTy craft which inspired this piece of advent craftitude.
THIS AFTERNOON, WE WILL MAKE ”GRATITUDE ORNAMENTS.”
THEY’RE SUPER EASY…
Clear Glass or Plastic Ornaments
Pen, Pencil, or Marker
Ribbons or Ornament Hooks
- Cut a few sheets of plain paper into thin strips, about 1 or 2 inches long and about 1/4 inch wide.
- Have the kids write what they are thankful for on the centre of each paper strip with a marker, pencil or pen. They might also choose to write the word on both sides of the strip or to write the same or multiple words all over the strip.
- Roll each strip into a scroll with the ”grateful for” facing out.
- Remove the cap of the ornament and drop each scroll inside, shaking it a bit to let the paper unwind.
- Replace the cap and attach a ribbon or wire ornament hanger to the ornament hook.
- Hang it on your Christmas tree or from a few lovely dogwood branches that you’ve placed into a vase.
Update! Here are the ornaments the kids made today!