- in Art Projects, Canning, Canning General, Christmas Arts & Crafts, Cookie Meteors, Cookies, Cookies & Bars, DIY Detective Kit, Film Festival, Fun General Art Projects, Holiday Film Festival, Holidays, Lord Peter Wimsey's Case-Crackin' New Year's Eve Party, Main Dishes, New Year's Eve, New Year's Eve, Party Crafts, Quick & Easy Individual Thin Crust Pizzas, Santa Baby Cookies, Sherlock Holmes Party & DIY Detective Kits
- Leave a Comment
As always, our New Year’s Eve plans come along last minute. Last year’s family Sherlock Holmes Party was such a success, that we decided to continue the tradition of having a mystery movie night this year by introducing the kids to the fabulous story-telling of Dorothy L. Sayers. Tonight, we’ll be dusting off the DIY Detective Kits we made last year, and we’ll be showing the kids 2 of the 3 movies from the 1987 BBC/PBS Masterpiece Mystery edition of “Dorothy L. Sayers Mysteries,” starring Edward Petherbridge as Lord Peter Death Bredon Wimsey and Harriet Walter as Harriet Vane.
The first two films in the trilogy, Strong Poison and Have His Carcase, are close to six hours in length, combined.
So, we’ll put off viewing the three hour Gaudy Night installment for another movie party, perhaps a Back to School Night this coming weekend! I’m not usually one to promote the film before the books…But, in this case, we’re hoping that once they have seen these films, the kids will want us to read them Sayers’ fabulously written novels over the months ahead.Dorothy L. Sayers
Here’s our menu for the evening, followed by a list of Lord Peter Wimsey film & Radio titles:
LORD PETER WIMSEY’S CASE-CRACKIN’ NEW YEAR’S EVE PARTY MENU
STRONG POISON APPETIZERS
Teas from the Oriental
A Sampling of Green Teas & Lemon-Laced Tap Water
Sweet Omelette with Jam
A “Cracked Egg” Omelette Made at the Table, served with our Homemade Blueberry Port Jam
Miss Climpson’s Sampler Plate
Toast, Crackers & Cheese for our Pickier Eaters, Served on a Ouija Board
HAVE HIS CARCASE MAIN COURSE
Hitchhiker’s Fizzy Lemonade
A Sparkling Combination of Lemonade and Club Soda
Dancing at the Resplendent Dinner Salads
Greens Tossed with Cucumbers & Tomatoes, Drizzled with Balsamic Vinegar, Olive Oil and a Bit of Sea Salt
Tonight, we’ll make our well-loved Thin Crust Pizzas into”Romanov Pizzas” by either leaving off the sauce entirely or by flooding the pizzas with loads of extra sauce to signify the problem with the royal blood lines at the heart of our mystery.
GAUDY NIGHT DESSERTS
Rest Assured: Neither Turkish Delight nor Stewed Prunes are on the menu this evening!
Bunter’s Famous Hot Cocoa
A Bowl of Hot Chocolate Served with Marshmallows in a Little Ramekin
Gifts from the Larder: Cookie Plate
“I remember you, Annie. You always left the Buttery door unlocked.” – Harriet
For dessert, we’ll serve a smattering of our favourite holiday cookies.
See our recipes for Cookie Meteors & Santa Babies.
LORD PETER WIMSEY IN RADIO & FILM (faithful adaptations)
Radio Plays Starring Ian Carmichael
Lord Peter WimseyBBC Radio Series
Films Starring Ian Carmichael
Clouds of Witness, The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club, Five Red Herrings, Murder Must Advertise and The Nine Tailors
Films Starring Edward Petherbridge & Harriet Walter
A Dorothy L. Sayers Mystery: Strong Poison, Have His Carcase, Gaudy Night
- in Advent Calendar, Art Projects, Baking, Buche de Noel, Cakes, Cannoli Bûche de Noël, Christmas, Christmas Arts & Crafts, Christmas Baking, Christmas Decoration, Christmas Eve Checklist, Cookies, Cookies & Bars, Design, Write, Draw, Build, Gifts, Holidays, Main Dishes, Santa Baby Cookies
- Leave a Comment
□ Make sure there are enough cookies for Santa. If not, make some more!
□ Prepare the Cannoli Buche de Noel for tomorrow’s Christmas dinner.
□ Go to Family Mass
□ Indulge in the Feast of the Seven Fishes
□ Drink Hot Chocolate and Sing Carols.
□ Leave Cookies, Milk, and Maybe Even Some Reindeer Biscuits by the Fire
Since we have some plans for this morning, we’re going to have a bit of a late night cookie-making party in our pajamas. It’s time to make a few of our classic family recipes: Santa Baby Cookies & Cookie Meteors.
Here are reprints of those recipes:
Makes 5 dozen
1 c unsalted butter, softened
1.5 c brown sugar
.5 c granulated sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
2 tsp vanilla
2 c all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
.5 tsp salt
1 c oats
2 c semi-sweet chocolate chips
4 skor bars, crushed
.5 – 1 c toffee bits
1 c flaked coconut (sweetened or unsweetened)
1 c chopped pecans
Heat oven to 350f.
Cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
Add eggs and vanilla and mix until creamy.
Separately, mix flour, salt and baking soda.
Add these dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
Separately, mix chocolate chips, toffee bits, oatmeal, coconut and pecans.
Add these mixins to the cookie batter, mixing first by machine, then, fully incorporating with spatula.
This dough is very stiff and bursting with mixins.
Drop 1-2 tbs of dough 2 inches apart on parchment or silpat-lined cookie sheets.
Bake 10-12 minutes.
1 cup chocolate chips, semi-sweet or dark
2 squares unsweetened chocolate, chopped fine
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2/3 cup white sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 large eggs
1.5-2 tsp vanilla
1 additional cup of semi-sweet, dark, or milk-chocolate chips or chunks
1/2-1 cup walnuts, pecans, white chocolate chips or other mix-ins (holiday mint M&M’s are always a hit.)
Preheat the oven to 350F.
Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper or silpats.
In a high-heat-friendly glass bowl set 0ver a pot of boiling water, melt the butter, the first cup of chocolate chips, and the chopped unsweetened chocolate.
Set the bowl aside to cool for a few mintues OR transfer the melted chocolate mixture to another mixing bowl.
Add the sugar, flour, and baking powder to the chocolate mixture, stirring until combined. The mixture will now look thick and slightly grainy.
Stop to test that the mixture is cool enough, at this point, to add eggs without scrambling them and chocolate chips without melting them. It might be hard to leave things at this stage, but better to be careful than to have to start over.
Once the mixture is relatively cool, add the eggs one at a time and the vanilla. The mixture will now begin to shine.
Add your additional 1 cup of chocoalte chips and your 1/2 – 1 cup of white chocolate chips (or other mix-in).
Using a large tablespoon, drop large dollops of the cookie dough onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet. (Use a teaspoon if you’d like to make smaller cookies.)
Bake for 7-12 minutes, until the cookie looks shiny but not dark/wet in the middle. It will still be a little soft to the touch, though. Don’t overbake!
Carefully move the parchment or silpat of cookies onto a wire rack. Cool for as long as you can before sampling!
Quick Links for Mobile Users
Summer of Funner : The Lunchbox Season : In Defense of Burning
What’s Inside of the Lunchbox?
- First Communion Fun
- Saying “Thank You”
- DIY Cookie Cutters: The Zeppelin Edition
- Book Fan Shirts
- Making the Movie Monster Video
- The Vanities of the Leaked-Upon
- MARCH breACK! 2013: Spirit Bear Stick Puppets and Finger-Walking Bear Puppets
- MARCH breACK! 2013: Illustrate-Your-Own-Books, Ahma, The Spirit Bear, Part IV: A Berry Picking Party & What Follows
- MARCH breACK! 2013: Spirit Bear S’mores: Honey Graham Cracker Cookie Cut-Outs and Honey Marshmallows From Scratch
- MARCH breACK! 2013: Kermode’s Path Math Game
- MARCH breACK! 2013: Mooksgm’ol [Spirit Bear] Drum Faces Inspired by Tsishmian Art & the Four Tsishmian Clans
- MARCH breACK! 2013: Illustrate-Your-Own-Books, Ahma, The Spirit Bear, Part III: In Which Harriet is Saved and Jane Tries Not To Be
Our Most Popular Arts & Crafts Posts
- Sherlock Holmes Party: DIY Detective Kits
- Necktie Beanbag Snakes
- A Birdseed Wreath
- Snake Mobiles and A Skip Counting Game
- Easter Egg Workshop
- Toy Heart Photo Valentines
- Constellation Cards
- DIY Python Masks
- Pop Art Name Plates
- Snake Sock Puppets
- Favourite Photo Ornaments
- The Adventures of Sir Lochrann Holmes: A Study in Emerald (Introduction)
- Read and Illustrate The Winter’s Tale
Our Most Popular Recipes
- Butter Beer Blondies
- Whisky Fig Cranberry Sauce
- Our Best Chewy Granola Bars
- Eat This(,) Chicken!
- Shamrock S’mores
- Chewy Chocolate Brownies
- Cookie Meteors & Santa Babies
- Quick and Easy Individual Thin Crust Pizzas
- Skylanders Portal of Power Cake
- Frogwiches! Gingerbread Sandwich Cookies with Vanilla or Citrus Cream
- Punch and Judy Cookies
- Cannoli Buche de Noel
- Red Panda Cake
Lunchbox “Bento”: Categories
- The Lunchbox Season is Back
- Summer of Funner 2012 Film Festival
- Peach Day! Amaretto Peach Jam, Brown Sugar Vanilla Jam, and Giant Peach Butter
- A Movable Mural
- The Imaginary Beasts of Riverdale Farm
- Mad Scientist Day 2012: Ten “Sweet” Experiments
- The Kids Make Street Eats (with Beer!): Pilsner Pretzels & Hops and Robbers Mustard
- Glam Cans 2012: Kid-Designed Canning Labels DIY