While it may have appeared as if we’ve been off hibernating since our marathon Advent Shadowbox Calendar project at the end of 2012, we’ve actually been out flexing our muscles in the winter weather. Plenty of snow has meant plenty of sledding down our local hill. We’ve also been preparing for the weeks ahead, particularly the upcoming holidays: Groundhog Day, Chinese New Year, Ash Wednesday, and Valentine’s Day!
Of course, such recreation has made us think, most particularly, on our hearts.
So, here are the links to last year’s Valentine’s posts:
Stay tuned for new posts starting this week….and get yourselves ready for MARCH breAK! 2013 by checking out our MARCH breAK! archive for all of the fun & excitement from last year!
Quick Links for Mobile Users
Summer of Funner : The Lunchbox Season : In Defense of Burning
Sunday, February 12, 2012
It’s been a long time since we’ve shared one of our Weekly Lunchbox Treats!
This week, we’re adding a bit of Valentine’s flair to the mix!
The kids were enthralled by the bag of Caramel-filled Herskey’s kisses that made its way into the house last week. So, I decided to come up with a special thumbprint cookie to incorporate the rest of the bag! Since we didn’t have quite enough kisses to finish our batch of dough, I also uncovered a bag of mini-kisses from the cupboard and used those in a heart-shaped riff on the original! After tonight’s simple Sunday supper, the kids tested them and approved!! Lunchboxes here we come!
Caramel Kissed Chocolate Thumbprints
Mini-Kissed Chocolate Hearts
1 c unsalted butter
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c sugar
1 tbs vanilla extract
2 c all-purpose flour
1/2 c cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 - 1 c coloured sprinkles, mini chips, flaked coconut, or sanding sugar
1 bag Hershey’s Caramel Kisses, unwrapped
1 bag Hershey’s/Chipits Mini Kisses
Heat oven to 375.
Make the Dough
Cream butter and sugar.
Beat in eggs and vanilla.
Gradually add salt, cocoa powder and flour until dough begins to form a ball.
If dough is too soft to work with, refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Using your hands, roll the cookie dough into 1-inch diameter spheres.
Roll the spheres in ramekins filled with coloured sprinkles, mini chips, or other delectables to coat.
For Caramel Kissed Thumbprints
Place candy coated cookie-dough spheres on parchment lined pans.
Press your thumb in the center of each sphere.
Bake for 11-12 minutes.
Make sure to unwrap your kisses before the cookies are finished baking!!!
Remove pan from oven.
Immediately press an unwrapped Hershey’s Caramel Kiss in the center of each cookie.
Cool on wire racks.
For Mini-Kissed Hearts
Press each cookie-dough sphere between your hands to flatten to approx 1/2 in thick.
Free-form the flattened dough into a heart shape.
Use your index finger to indent each heart in 3 places.
Bake hearts on parchment lined pan for 11-12 minutes.
Remove pan from oven.
Immediately press 3 chocolate mini-kisses into each cookie.
Cool on wire racks.
HAPPY VALENTINE’S WEEK!
What’s Inside of the Lunchbox?
- First Communion Fun
- Saying “Thank You”
- DIY Cookie Cutters: The Zeppelin Edition
- Book Fan Shirts
- Making the Movie Monster Video
- The Vanities of the Leaked-Upon
- MARCH breACK! 2013: Spirit Bear Stick Puppets and Finger-Walking Bear Puppets
- MARCH breACK! 2013: Illustrate-Your-Own-Books, Ahma, The Spirit Bear, Part IV: A Berry Picking Party & What Follows
- MARCH breACK! 2013: Spirit Bear S’mores: Honey Graham Cracker Cookie Cut-Outs and Honey Marshmallows From Scratch
- MARCH breACK! 2013: Kermode’s Path Math Game
- MARCH breACK! 2013: Mooksgm’ol [Spirit Bear] Drum Faces Inspired by Tsishmian Art & the Four Tsishmian Clans
- MARCH breACK! 2013: Illustrate-Your-Own-Books, Ahma, The Spirit Bear, Part III: In Which Harriet is Saved and Jane Tries Not To Be
Our Most Popular Arts & Crafts Posts
- Sherlock Holmes Party: DIY Detective Kits
- Necktie Beanbag Snakes
- A Birdseed Wreath
- Snake Mobiles and A Skip Counting Game
- Easter Egg Workshop
- Toy Heart Photo Valentines
- Constellation Cards
- DIY Python Masks
- Pop Art Name Plates
- Snake Sock Puppets
- Favourite Photo Ornaments
- The Adventures of Sir Lochrann Holmes: A Study in Emerald (Introduction)
- Read and Illustrate The Winter’s Tale
Our Most Popular Recipes
- Butter Beer Blondies
- Whisky Fig Cranberry Sauce
- Our Best Chewy Granola Bars
- Eat This(,) Chicken!
- Shamrock S’mores
- Chewy Chocolate Brownies
- Cookie Meteors & Santa Babies
- Quick and Easy Individual Thin Crust Pizzas
- Skylanders Portal of Power Cake
- Frogwiches! Gingerbread Sandwich Cookies with Vanilla or Citrus Cream
- Punch and Judy Cookies
- Cannoli Buche de Noel
- Red Panda Cake
Lunchbox “Bento”: Categories
- The Lunchbox Season is Back
- Summer of Funner 2012 Film Festival
- Peach Day! Amaretto Peach Jam, Brown Sugar Vanilla Jam, and Giant Peach Butter
- A Movable Mural
- The Imaginary Beasts of Riverdale Farm
- Mad Scientist Day 2012: Ten “Sweet” Experiments
- The Kids Make Street Eats (with Beer!): Pilsner Pretzels & Hops and Robbers Mustard
- Glam Cans 2012: Kid-Designed Canning Labels DIY